Tuesday 6 March 2018

Before Class Task


This is my year 10 Major work painting. It is a self-portrait painted with acrylic paint. This painting was based on me, my life and my origins. It clearly gives off the Arabic vibes due to the men dressed in the traditional white or black robe. As seen in the painting, the self-portrait is painted larger than the background. This is to emphasise the fact that "this is who I am and this is where I came from". Furthermore, the beads I am holding in the painting, called the misabaha) further convey my Arabic origins as men and women from all over the Middle East own one. The painting style has been inspired by the way the artist George Gittoes paints all of his artworks. It always fascinated me how he is able to make parts of his paintings 'pop' out of the painting by using a paste. Furthermore, his use of colour and not blending properly always captivated me. 


I took this image this year during my trip to the UAE because I found Burj Al Arab to be one of the most fascinating pieces of architecture in the world. It was designed by the architect Tom Wright from 1993-1999. It is the third tallest hotel in the world at 321m. To me, the architecture of this building is very creative, Wright's client wanted a signature building which would announce 'Welcome to Dubai'. It has been designed to convey Dubai's urban transformation, symbolising the sail of a boat. Another interesting fact is that the Burj Al Arab is built on sand, which is very unusual for a tall building.It is supported by 250, 1.5M diameter columns that are 45m deep in the sea. These columns rely on friction as only sand is holding the building up. It truly is an iconic structure. 


This is an original photograph that I have taken of something beautiful. This is the Burj Khalifa, which is not only a 'living wonder' but is also the tallest building in the world at 828m. It has been developed by the Dubai-based Emaar Properties PJSC. In 2003, an international design competition was set out to select those who will carry out the architecture and the engineering of the Burj Khalifa. Of the five competitors, Skidmore, Owings & Merril LLP (SOM) won. SOM added patterns and elements from traditional Islamic architecture. Furthermore, the most fascinating fact is their incorporation of the harmonious structure of the regional desert flower, Hymenocallis, making it the principle muse for the design of the Burj Khalifa. I have been up close to the Burj Khalifa and I have also been inside it all the way to the top. I can say confidently that it is event more beautiful and breathtaking up close than it is far away in a photo. It was utterly amazing. The design and architecture of this building is truly inspiring and fascinating.



Revival Cycles

Noun- Speed
Verb- Whoosh
Adjective- Unrefined


CJ Hendry

Noun- Chaos
Verb- Crude
Adjective- Rugged


Gucci

Noun- Flower
Verb- Structure
Adjective- Dainty

No comments:

Post a Comment